There are sometimes simple repairs that your air conditioner needs every once in a while. Without these small repairs, it can lead to larger ones in which case you will have to call in the professionals. Simple repairs that your air conditioning unit needs means that you can do them on your own easily, so long as you know what to look for and how to handle certain problems. Here are two of the common problems with your air conditioner that can take place and how to resolve them:
Air Conditioner isn't Working at All
If your air conditioner isn't working at all, then your thermostat probably isn't working or the unit isn't getting any electrical power to it. If this is the problem with your air conditioner, then the first thing you want to do is be sure that the thermostat is set to cool. If it is, then you can
- Check the electrical panel for a blown fuse. If there is a blown fuse, you will want to either replace it or reset the breaker.
- Turn the furnace power on and the condenser as well if they aren't already. Sometimes, these can be shut off which will prevent your air conditioner from working.
- Turn off the power to the air conditioner to check the thermostat. You will want to remove the cover of the thermostat and unscrew the wire from the Y terminal, and you can turn the power to the unit back on. At this point, you will want to touch the R terminal and if the compressor starts working, then this indicates a bad thermostat. You will want to replace it at this point.
Air Conditioner Isn't Cooling the Home at the Most Efficient Power
When you have the thermostat set to a specific temperature, you will want your home to feel as if it is at that temperature. Sometimes, this is not the case, though, and your home can feel much warmer than when you have the thermostat set to a cool setting. Here's what you can do to fix it:
- You can clean the unit to ensure that proper air flow is achieved. Sometimes dirt and debris can get stuck in the unit causing a blockage of air flow.
- You will want to recharge the coolant. You can refer to your owner's manual as to how to achieve this since it can be different depending on your unit type.
These are common problems that are seen in air conditioning units, so knowing how to resolve them can prevent a call to professionals and ensure that you can be comfortable in your home once again as soon as possible. Call a professional, like those at Halton Peel ClimateCare, for more help.Share